I’m laying here in bed at 8:09 a.m. – something I never get to do (or let myself do) – the day after one of the most incredible experiences in my life. My mind is racing, thinking about the fact that 19 months ago, OneLife church didn’t exist. But yesterday, 440 people made it their place to celebrate the resurrection. At least 23 of those (that we know of) gave their hearts to Jesus.
OneLife – this is not normal (read this if you are dorky like me and want to see what normal is in a new church). And it’s not because we have a great band, cool stage set, awesome children’s ministry, and an incredibly good looking pastor. Although all of those things are true It’s because God – for whatever reason – is choosing to use us as his tools and vessels to impact this community.
So on this day after, we celebrate what God has done. But I can’t help but wonder what Jesus and his followers did the day after he walked out of the grave and defeated death. Do you think they sat around and celebrated? I sure don’t. Because Jesus told them immediately in Mark 16 to go into ALL the world and preach! Don’t sit here and celebrate, go reach people! And when you do, you’ll be UNSTOPPABLE!
OneLifers, you were used yesterday. You invited people, prayed, fasted, volunteered, worshipped, and supported this vision and dream. But let’s not stop here. Follow-up with those you invited and came. Follow-up with those who didn’t come and let them know that we have church all year long – not just on Easter! Think about those people you didn’t get to invite this past week and get them there this Sunday. Let’s keep the pedal to the metal! Because we are…unstoppable.
Here are some behind the scenes reflections of what made yesterday an incredible experience.
- Because we’ve worked so hard to have a good relationship with the school, they are incredibly gracious to us. They let us set up on Thursday night to tweak a new stage set, come back Friday night to focus lights, and then mow the yard on Saturday so it would be looking nice!
- 114 volunteer positions were filled yesterday. Amazing.
- For the first time ever, automated check-in worked on both computers for OneLife Kidz. Those things are persnickety! And it was great because we had more kids than ever!
- We got to help a homeless gentleman who came by needing gas and clothing. He got a OneLife shirt, gas, and some food. And attended worship with us.
- Our new custodian who unlocks for us surprised our band and tech teams by providing a table FULL of breakfast for them when they arrived! Doughnuts, bananas, coffee, orange juice, and Gatorade. Then he and his son attended a service.
- Our first impressions teams made coming to OneLife an incredible experience yesterday. Parkers made it easy to find a spot in the parking lot (which literally filled completely up between services!), greeters were more engaging than ever, and ushers helped people find seats in the auditorium…which also filled up first service!
- Our staff had an incredible prayer time on Saturday afternoon that I believe had a huge impact on the number of lives that were changed yesterday.
- The bumper video that was played before the sermon yesterday is one of my favorites we’ve had yet. And it is a OneLife original. Check it out on the service video that will be posted this afternoon.
- From what I hear, OneLife Kidz was more rocking than ever. That team of volunteers has really made it something special…and it gets better all the time!
- We had 14 first time guest families fill out a connection card and tons of prayer requests. Follow-ups with them and new believers are already underway!
- This next Sunday will be great for everyone…new and old…to learn more about how to be unstoppable in practical ways. I can’t wait!